By Lawrence S. Cunningham
- Refers to either famous saints, reminiscent of Joan of Arc, and lesser-known figures just like the ‘holy fools’ within the Orthodox tradition
- Ranges over matters as various because the heritage of canonization tactics, the Reformation critique of the cult of saints, and the position of saints in different spiritual traditions
- Discusses the relevance of sainthood within the postmodern era
- Two appendices describe consumer saints and the iconography of saints in art.
Read Online or Download A Brief History of Saints (Wiley Blackwell Brief Histories of Religion) PDF
Similar catholicism books
This TAN Books version of “Life of Christ and Biblical Revelations quantity 1” by means of Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich, beneficial properties the entire unique textual content, in addition to a supplemental examining part entitled “A short lifetime of Christ”. We’ve additionally incorporated specified hand-selected vintage art for the reader’s amusement, specific to this booklet variation of “Life of Christ and Biblical Revelations quantity 1”.
What does it suggest to be—or to were raised—Catholic in the United States at the present time, now that officially nonpracticing Catholics outnumber the memberships of the other unmarried denomination? Catholic Lives, modern the US is a set of expert and lively essays concentrating on Catholic lay practices no longer typically well-known or, now and then, formally sanctioned.
Dies ist meine Hinterlassenschaft für meine Verwandtschaft in Deutschland und Amerika. Ein Bericht über meine Pilgerreise von Amerika über Frankreich ins Heilige Land und meinen Besuch bei meinen Verwandten in Deutschland, meiner alten Heimat, auf der Rückreise nach Amerika. Ein interessantes Familiendokument und gleichermaßen ein Zeitdokument vom Beginn des zwanzigsten Jahrhunderts.
The most powerful case but for an inclusive church, the sort that was once and has been, and lays naked its ancient, theological, and religious roots. Diarmuid O’Murchu holds excessive the hundreds of thousands at the margins in addition to the outsiders who honor Jesus yet think they don’t slot in as a result of replacement imaginative and prescient or minority prestige caused by race, ethnicity, social status or sexual orientation.
- The Carmelite Tradition (Spirituality In History)
- The Comforter: The Spirit of Joy
- Healing Promises: The Essential Guide to the Sacred Heart
- Choosing to Be Catholic: For the First Time or Once Again
- Navigating the Interior Life: Spiritual Direction and the Journey to God
Extra resources for A Brief History of Saints (Wiley Blackwell Brief Histories of Religion)